Tips for Avoiding Ocular Allergy Triggers
Red, Itchy, Watery Eyes?
The beautiful weather of spring is here! Unfortunately, spring also brings one pesky problem: allergies.
Every spring, millions of people suffer from seasonal allergies. But it’s not just your nose that suffers—your eyes can be left red, itchy and watery. While there is no cure for allergies you can take the following steps to help avoid allergens from ruining your day:
- It’s best to stay indoors on extra windy days when the most allergens are in the air.
- You should also wear a pollen mask while doing yard work.
- Avoid using window fans that could blow pollen and spores into your house.
- Wear sunglasses (or regular glasses) they can shield your eyes from pollen.
- If pollen does get into your home, wash your hair and change your clothes as soon as possible.
- Always wash your hands (especially after spending time outdoors or with pets).
- Never touch or rub your eyes while wearing your contact lenses. The moist surfaces of contact lenses act as collectors for allergens, such as spores, pollens and dust. Touching the lenses forces allergens into your eyes which will cause irritation.
These are all great steps you can take to avoid eye allergies this spring. And remember we are always here for you. If you have any questions about allergy treatment or eye care in general, schedule your next your appointment with us or give us a call. Dr. Kaur looks forward to helping you maintain healthy and clear vision for life.